- Sustainable Fisheries
- About Sustainable Fisheries
- Fishery Management
- Fishery Ecosystem Plans
- Proposed and Final Rules
- Compliance Guides and
- Annual Catch Limits
- Sea Turtle Interactions
- Seabird Interactions
- Seabird Guide
- Recreational Fisheries
- Fishing Permits
- Protected Species Workshop
- Registration and Schedule
- Resource Materials
- Resources/Related Links
- International Fisheries
- About International Fisheries
- Western & Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC)
- South Pacific Tuna Treaty (SPTT)
- South Pacific Regional Fisheries Management Organization (SPRFMO)
- High Seas Fisheries in the North Pacific Ocean
- Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission (IATTC)
- Proposed and Final Rules
- Species of Interest
- Boundaries Map
- Fisheries Map
- Documents and Data
- Protected Resources
- Habitat Conservation
- Observer Program
- Operations, Management, and Information
- Outreach and Education
- Marine National Monument Program
- News and Multimedia
- Public Documents
- Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center
- Office of Law Enforcement
- FOIA (Freedom of Information Act)
Scientific name: Nautilus pompilius
On October 23, 2017, we announced a proposed rule (82 FR 48948 ) to list the chambered nautilus (Nautilus pompilius) as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act (ESA). The proposed rule is based on a comprehensive status review for the species, and takes into account efforts being made to protect the species. We conclude that the chambered nautilus is likely to become endangered throughout all or a significant portion of its range within the foreseeable future. Therefore, we propose to list the chambered nautilus as a threatened species.
Public Comments and Information We Seek on the Chambered Nautilus Proposed Listing
A 60-day public comment period on the proposal to list the chambered nautilus under the ESA is open until December 22, 2017 at 11:59 PM EST. You may submit comments and information via the Federal eRulemaking Portal . Public hearing requests must be made by December 7, 2017.
We are also soliciting information on the population structure, habitat use, abundance, and distribution of the species, as well as threats and planned activities that may impact the species, and efforts being made to protect the chambered nautilus. Information on potential areas of critical habitat within waters under U.S. jurisdiction is also requested.
On May 31, 2016, we received a petition from Center for Biological Diversity to list the chambered nautilus as threatened or endangered under the ESA.
On August 26, 2016, NOAA Fisheries made a positive 90-day finding (81 FR 58895 ), determining that the petitioned action may be warranted for the chambered nautilus. We conducted a comprehensive status review of this species to determine if the petitioned action was warranted. Scientific and commercial information pertaining to this species was accepted until October 25, 2016.
- 12-month Finding/Proposed Listing Rule (82 FR 48948) )
- Submit Public Comments (by December 22, 2017 at 11:59 PM EST)
- Status Review Report
- 90-Day Finding (81 FR 58895)
For more information on the ESA, please visit the our ESA Section 4 page.
For more information about the species, please visit the NOAA Fisheries' chambered nautilus page.